We are delighted to announce the return of The Refugee Journalism Project Programme for 2021-22. We are looking for UK-based journalists with a refugee background who want to rebuild their careers.
The first phase of this initiative will run between December 2021 and May 2022. The selected participants will have the opportunity to acquire new digital skills, produce journalistic content, and build professional networks through collaborations. The delivery of this work will be blended so there will be both face to face and online sessions.
In the second phase, all participants will be invited to apply for one of three paid fellowships. The selected fellows will work with different media organisations for between three and six months.
Please read our annual report from 2020-21 to find out some of the benefits of joining the project.
In order to meet the eligibility criteria, you must:
- Have refugee status (or Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave to Remain as a result of an asylum claim).
- Have an average IELTS of 5.5 (or be able to demonstrate a good command of English).
- Have experience or qualifications in journalism, communications or a media-related field.
- Be based in the UK.
- Be available to attend workshops and activities between December 2021 and May 2022.
We would particularly welcome applications from female journalist and those from Afghanistan.
In order to be considered for the project please send:
- Your Curriculum Vitae (with the name and contact details of a referee).
- A 400-word written piece, or a link to a two-five minute audio or video clip explaining why you are applying for this opportunity.
- Please attach a photograph to your application.
Candidates will be selected on the basis of the information provided. All shortlisted candidates will be interviewed.
Please email your application to: email@example.com by Monday 29th November 2021.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome by Friday 17th December.
This work is funded by Open Society Foundations and Google News Initiative.